Saturday, August 12, 2006

Brick 'n' Brack


It's been a good week for movies. Settled in to watch a late-night DVD session last night after my wife went to bed and thoroughly enjoyed the latest independent film du jour, BRICK, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN) and directed by newcomer Rian Johnson. I have a feeling we're going to be hearing more about this director in the future. The movie is an odd hybrid of classic "film noir" (especially in its rapid-fire dialogue) and modern high school murder-mystery. If you're intrigued, give the movie a shot.

I read a lot of positive reviews back when it played in the half dozen or so theaters brave enough to show something original and made a mental note to catch in on DVD. Well, it was certainly worth the wait! It reminded me of a smart cross between TWIN PEAKS and HEATHERS (if that mix makes any sense) and I have to give kudos to both Gordon-Levitt and Lukas Haas (the creepy little kid from WITNESS playing a creepy older drug dealer here named "The Pin"). And director Johnson has thankfully eschewed the whiplash, attention-deficit-disorder directing of today's MTV-tainted filmmakers and gone with a more moderate, visually-stylish look. Do yourself a big favor: forget the latest crap-fest starring Tim Allen and rent this great little movie!

On the beer/cigar menu tonight: a fine Romeo & Julieta Robusto (which has become my "go to" favorite cigar just for consistency and taste), washed down with a couple of tasty Portuguese Double Bocks. (Yes, the Portuguese have been known to make a good beer, although I'd avoid Cintra and stick with either Double Bock or Sagres.)

Also thumbed through the latest issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY which is promoting the newest James Bond, Daniel Craig, on its cover. Looking at his stern mug, he reminds me of George Lazenby ... remember him? No? My point exactly! Since my man Pierce Brosnan passed on the Walter PPK, I've lost all interest in the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home