Thursday, August 10, 2006

Top Ten Comes Alive!

Okay, so a friend's comment to my prior posting about THE WHO inspired me to begin the first in what will likely be a long litany of "Top Ten Lists" of things that I deem noteworthy. Fans of the film HI FIDELITY will appreciate this occasional venture into randomly ranking relevant items into neat, little categories. Or maybe it's just the obsessive-compulsive in me.

Any-WHO (pardon the pun), here is my off-the-cuff TOP TEN LIVE ROCK CDs and/or ALBUMS for your reading and, hopefully, later listening pleasure. Digest, dissect and discuss as you will ...

1. THE WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS. Only two words can really capture what this great session is all about: "raw energy." Best Track: "Young Man Blues."

2. KISS - ALIVE! It's the album that made KISS who they are and the quintessential live rock and roll show, replete with the perfect "Rock and Roll National Anthem" -- a little ditty by the name of "Rock and Roll All Nite." Best Track: "Rock and Roll All Nite," of course.


3. CHEAP TRICK - AT BUDOKAN. Like KISS, Cheap Trick had made three prior, mostly-ignored studio albums before this raucous live recording put them on the map. Best Track: "Surrender."

4. THE KINKS - ONE FOR THE ROAD. Just compare the boring studio version of "Lola" to the high-energy live version on this album (recorded right here at the Providence Civic Center, by the way) and you'll understand why The Kinks should only be experienced "live." Best Track: "You Really Got Me."

5. BOB SEGER AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND - LIVE BULLET. This was such an influential live album when I was growing up, it's strange how it's almost forgotten now. But just listen to the opening sax on "Turn the Page" and it will all make sense. Best Track: "Ramblin' Gambling Man."

6. TALKING HEADS - STOP MAKING SENSE. I don't know if it's the building crescendo of sound or Jonathan Demme's great concert film of this show that I like better. Maybe both. Best Track: "Once In A Lifetime."

7. BILLY JOEL - SONGS IN THE ATTIC. Although this is not a typical "I went on tour and recorded the same songs I did on my last studio album live so you can buy them again," this remains Billy Joel's greatest "live" achievement. Here, he dug out some old gems which really benefit from a live makeover. Best Track: "Los Angelenos."

8. 10,000 MANIACS - MTV UNPLUGGED. There are few times when a band in its prime is captured in a perfect live setting, firing on all cylinders -- but here it is! There's not a fumbled note or missed beat on this entire session. Best Track: "Because The Night."

9. AC/DC - IF YOU WANT BLOOD ... YOU'VE GOT IT. It's not surprising that AC/DC's next two studio efforts (HIGHWAY TO HELL and BACK IN BLACK) were their strongest albums. This is where they finally hit their stride and became a powerhouse rock band. Best Track: "Let There Be Rock."

10. THE FOOLS - WAKE UP, IT'S ALIVE! This is my "wild card" that I'm sure most of you haven't heard. I've been a longtime fan of this local band who never seemed to be able to break out from the area club scene, despite their clever songs and musicianship. This live CD perfectly captures their zany, infectious stage show. Best Track: "The Blooze."

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob Gonsalves said...

I am extremely disappointed that Extremely Live by Vanilla Ice is nowhere on this list.

4:51 AM  
Blogger i *heart* paper said...

You know my vote!!

BTW, Hi Paul, Hi Rob! I've added you all to my blog page...I'm sucking you into my blogworld, wah-ah-ah!!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home